Sunday, April 24, 2022

Missing Out on Aussie Writers?

This was my first thought when I read the Brisbane Times' review When a writer needed help, only one author would do the trick: Helen Garner. Who was this Helen Garner? She inspired the book reviewed - 

...As an aspiring writer keen to learn his craft, he had turned to Dostoevsky, Flaubert, the usual Western canon. He was left searching for an Australian work that could help him “here”? Patrick White, while getting “a lot of hot, fresh Australia into his books”, was too English, his style “modernist baroque”. It was Garner’s “honest”, “plainer, scrappier” novel that seemed to get things just right.

I searched for the same kind of writer 40 years ago. I did not find anyone quite on point.  Ten years ago I started looking again with less of my younger self's certainty that all had been written about. I found Joyce Carol Oates and I found Toni Morrison and I found Nelson Algren. I still have not found anyone from Indiana to show me how to write about here. I am left finding 

But back to the book reviewed,Writers on Writers: On Helen Garner by Sean O’Beirne, I think this passage is why I would like to read this book:

This is a book for Garner enthusiasts, and for readers and writers who seek to understand more deeply the complex dynamics of readerly-writerly relationships...


sch 4/8/22





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment