Thursday, February 3, 2022

Writing: Emotional Truths

The one thing I learned while trying to re-learn writing in prison was the need for emotional honesty. I cannot point to one work where I learned this lesson. Could be in writing my journal that precedes this blog was the catalyst - I had to honestly face the emotions created by and fed by my depression or not achieve the knowledge necessary to keep on living. I believe that when Ernest Hemingway wrote all he needed to do each day was to write one honest sentence he meant one emotionally honest sentence.

For more on this topic, let me point you to Tapping Your Memories for Emotional Truths on the Page:

Emotional authenticity and character depth embolden storytelling. Without these elements, even the most action-packed or thought-provoking story can fall flat. From flatlines to flat-broke to flat on one’s backside, flat isn’t a goal on the list. So, let’s do better.

If we examine our own impulses from different moments in our lives, we can tap into the genuine magic of experience and memory, transferring our own longings, aches, fears, and urgencies to the page.

sch

1/16/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment