Sunday, December 5, 2021

Project Management for a Novel

 In If You Want to Write a Novel, Start with a Plan, Stephanir Gangi writes

...My day job had taught me, in corporate-speak, to reach desired outcomes by establishing resources, key deliverables, and actionable objectives to achieve a business goal. I did three things: I made a project plan (my map to the future); I bought craft books (I had no idea how to write a novel); I signed up for a writing workshop (for accountability).

 I learned how to outline in law school, but I have never really been able to outline well any of the novels I have written. If ever I can get them typed the world can judge if the defects in my outlining translated to the stories. See, like battle plans fall apart with the first contact with the enemy, my outlines fall apart when my imagination meets the blank page. This project plan may serve my purposes better than an outline.

sch

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment