Sunday, February 20, 2022

Black History Month: Donald Goines

Let me use JSTOR's Donald Goines, Detroit’s Crime Writer Par Excellence to make two points. I never read Goines.

One: cover art matters. I remember seeing Goines books in bookstores when I was a teen-ager and putting him into a pile along with Mack Reynolds.

Second: we should be disregard our teen-age opinions and prejudices. There was a time I was a fan of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

What the article says:

Furthermore, and this really gets to the essence of Goines’ influence and place in Black literature, “[s]ubsequently there have been imitators, almost all better writers than Goines. But no writer, before or since, can be compared to Goines in the breadth of criminal experience, and the prolific intensity with which he put his experience to paper.” 

sch

 2/11/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment