Friday, October 11, 2024

Calling In Sick, Seeing A Doctor - What All Has Gone Wrong

 Wednesday, I woke at 4 AM with muscle spasms and numb hands. I called in twice to work. I thought I could make it but be late. A hot shower did not help with the numbness on my right side. I called off because my legs felt too numb to be stood on for 6 hours.

I spent a few hours in bed because that was the only way I did not hurt from my head down to my right foot. When I could get up, I called for a doctor's appointment. I got in that afternoon and left with a prescription for muscle relaxers and a painkiller.

Off to CVS then back home. I started doing some email reading when the muscle relaxer kicked in. That sent me back to bed.

Up early yesterday only to break my glasses. Then I ruined them with super glue. I worked without glasses. It was anxiety to the max.

After work, I made my way to Doctor Tavel. Missing the 11:45 #12 (I am giving up getting that route) then missing the 12:00 #2. Finally, I caught the 12:30 #2. The muscle relaxer I had taken at lunch was kicking in and I had to fight falling asleep on the bus. I waited for the #3 outside since I thought I would fall asleep inside. 

When I got to Tavel, I found out it would take 3–4 weeks for new glasses. I went into an almost blind panic. Still, I ordered new bifocals. I called CC to see if she could find a one-day eyeglass place. I was not able to read anything. Then, while waiting for the bus downtown, I got the idea to see if reading glasses would work. Into the Staples store then, I found a $3 pair of reading glasses that let me see the world without blurring.

At home, I gave up fighting the muscle relaxer and slept. I got up to eat but felt too tired to write.

Some rejections came in the past few days for "Problem Solving":

Thank you for sending us "Problem Solving". We appreciate the chance to read your work. Unfortunately, this particular piece did not make the cut. This is not a judgment on the quality of your work, but is a result of the large number of submissions we receive and the limitations on the number of stories we can publish.

Thanks again. Good luck with this elsewhere and with your future writing endeavors.

Sincerely,

Mitchell Waldman, Fiction Editor

BLUE LAKE REVIEW

I also managed some more submissions:

Sundog Lit - No Ordinary Word

PenstrickenWrite or Die Magazine, Marathon Literary Review - Problem Solving

Sequestrum - The Unintended Consequences of Art (probably submitted too early)

I have 77 active submissions through Submittable.

So, I have not been completely useless the past three days.

I need to get to work. The plan for today is to get to work on my driver's license after group therapy this day.

sch 5:09 AM



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment