Friday, October 11, 2024

Food Is History and History Is Food

 A little history of the anchovy by Mathew Lyons (Engelsberg Ideas) inspired this post. However, there is a whole genre of history on food - about either raw materials or cooking the raw materials. Having had a long attachment to anchovy pizza, I swooped down on this review essay. Those who turn their noses up at the anchovy will find themselves surprised by its importance.

By the way, no purveyor of pizzas in Muncie has an anchovy pizza. I have asked and no one provided an explanation. It is just the state of current affairs.

I have never been much of a beer drinker, but the business of beer does interest me. So does its history - enough so that I read Pilsner Goes to America: How Beer Got Big in the 19th Century. It is a well-written piece of history that amuses and educates at the same time.

sch 10/6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment