Sunday, September 22, 2024

Benedict Arnold, Surrealism, Rock Me Amadeus, and My Laundry

I did not go to the laundry. However, I did go to the convenience store for RC Cola. No, the yes got tired and I took a break. Then I came back and finished the following. These are my thoughts on some of the things read today.

Since reading Kenneth Roberts's historical novels in high school about Benedict Arnold, I have taken an interest in the man. Our best soldier and our greatest traitor makes for a great story. Which is why I checked out A Patriot For Whom? Benedict Arnold and the Loyalists which was written by an Englishman. Reading Roberts taught me that people are more complicated than we get in histories. This is the great thing about historical fiction - the best makes you think about the unpopular people from history (see Hilary Mantel's Cromwell novels for a more recent example.)

There is a monument on the battlefield at Saratoga. It is shaped as a boot, in recognition of a severe leg injury and 'in memory of the most brilliant soldier of the Continental Army'. It records no name.

 Surrealism at 100: A Reading List - Living in Indiana is its own form of surrealism.




Hot news in the world of 18th century classical chamber music today, as French news agency Agence France-Presse reports that a new single has just dropped from the Vienna wunderkind himself, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. (Who was the Mozart outside the jungle, for those of you keeping track at home.) Unearthed from a library in Leipzig, Germany, the 260-year-old string trio composition got its first public performance in Mozart’s birthplace of Salzburg on Thursday night.


CC dropped by and brought the cleaning supplies. I told her about the phone.

What a weekend. The plan for the rest of the night is to eat dinner and finish off the dishes, shower, and some  posts for this blog.

sch 6:49


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment