Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Midwestern Writing VII: National Book Award, A Review, and a Bookshop in Franklin

I did not notice that The Rabbit Hutch won the National Book Award.  I noted the book, I think it came through The Brisbane Times book review, and that it was written by a woman from Indiana. Specifically, the writer, Tess Gunty, hails from South Bend.

The South Bend Tribune did give her the proper attention, and it is from South Bend inspired Tess Gunty's 'The Rabbit Hutch.' It just won the National Book Award., that I learned of her victory. Let me blast the trumpet and say this is a sign there are readers for stories of the Midwest.

Dionne Irving is a Notre Dame professor and writer, and the Indiana Authors Award has Sarah Layden reviewing Irving's The Islands. Okay, Irving's bio has her from Toronto, but if Indiana Authors Award thinks she belongs to Indiana, who am I to object?

Indiana Humanities has a 4-minute video on Booked: Wild Geese Bookshop, a Franklin, Indiana establishment.

Maybe somewhat off-track but still interesting is We Mapped ‘the Midwest’ for You, So Stop Arguing. I am not sure if it will stop the arguing, but it is a valiant effort. Do check it out.

sch 12/8/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment