Friday, March 25, 2022

Crisis for Renters

That I gave up looking for a Muncie apartment may not be clear if you have just come to this blog. Rentals were higher than I expected and I have restrictions on where I can live. I know I am not the only on with such problems but Affordable housing in the US is increasingly scarce, making renters ask: Where do we go? brought home hard the wider problem:

Workers have faced stagnant wages for the past 40 years. Yet the cost of rent has steadily increased during that time, with sharp increases of 14% to 40%  over the past two years.

The article does not offer an explicit solution but only an example:

...For example, Nordic countries treat the development of low- and medium-cost housing as a public utility. This reduces and stabilizes housing prices by removing the cost of land, construction, finance and management from the speculative market. They have succeeded in producing quality housing that is subsidized and permanently price restricted.

I hope for a tax refund and an apartment later this year. What I pay for rent did enable me to get food stamps.


sch 3/18/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment