Sunday, October 17, 2021

Yesterday and This Morning

 I flopped on my promise to write up my daily doings. Sorry.

I definitely have a job. I went to my orientation yesterday morning. That I felt like too bloody old is a thing I need getting used to nowadays. Anyone thinking I take a peculiar interest in the young needs to do some more thinking. Even worse, I forgot my birth certificate. Too many years of self-employment followed by my time in prison has left me thinking sure I am an American and do not need to prove I can legally work the United States. Wrong

K had told she was coming over for her son's cross-country meet and would drop off some books. When I walked back to get my birth certificate I called her since there were no books on my front step Turned out she was down the street, gassing up her vehicle She came up a little later with books and a bag of plastic bags. I told her about the birth certificate. She gave me a ride back to the restaurant. I gave over my state ID and birth certificate for copying and explained I was still having trouble with the Paycom site. K gave me a ride to Target. This was to let me get some cash to pay her for gasoline expended. While complaining about my telephone problems, she fixed the thing. (Except this morning I seem to with incoming calls). We spent a few minutes on my front step jawboning then she was off.

This was my first human contact in a week that did not involved job or apartment hunting.

I spent the rest of the afternoon researching and writing about James T Farrell,  In the back ground I listened to The Clash's London Calling, The Kinks' Arthur, and Tony Joe White's Bad Mouthin' (which has a great version of Heartbreak Hotel),   That stuff is scheduled for next month. I also spent getting through my emails and some apartment hunting done but I got an email still needing written. I made a dinner of summer sausage and ramen noodles. I can eat sausage now - a healthy digestive track is the other great benefit I got from prison. Thank you for your tax dollars. Then I decided to walk over to the movie theater and watch the new James Bond movie, No Time to Die. The outing was a bit of an extravagance funded by my eating ramen noodles.

I loved the movie - even if it was a bit of a downer. I saw it on an Imax screen (a first for me). Walking home \, I got to thinking this may be the best of the Daniel Craig movies; the best Bond movie (Goldfinger is the contender here for me) ever. Except this is not a Bond movie It is a movie about an assassin who turns out to be a human being. Never has any Bond actor gotten such a grand sendoff. 

But it was going on 1 am when I got back and was just too tired to type up my day.

It is just now noon. I have been awake since 7. I did my email. Then I ran into internet access problems. I saw K had called and called her back and learned the phone did not ring in. More frustration. When I did get what appears to be stable access, I started writing up this note. Breakfast was cream cheese and mini-bagels. Lunch was cheese and a Granny Smith apple and more summer sausage. 

I think I will stay in and write and read. I need to get back to John Dos Passos. Freedom shrinks as I return to being a wage slave tomorrow

3 comments:

Please feel free to comment