Friday, October 9, 2026

Movies Stuff Read Or Watched Recently

 The Fly: Perhaps It’s Time to Consider Some Anti-Contamination Protocols (Reactor). I have seen the second The Fly movie, never saw the first, and in law school I saw Cronnenberg's The Fly. I think what the essay says about the latter is on point.

YouTube tossed this one onto my screen, a James Cagney movie I had never seen and had never heard of before its appearance. Lew Ayres as a gangster? Meh. But Cagney is fully Cagney in a secondary role.


Ellery Queen used to be huge. Less so now. Lot less now. The thing is th detective went through changes that undermined the movies. We can disagree on the different movies made from Raymond /handler novels, but there is no break in the general form of Philip Marlow until Altman's The Long Goodbye. Queen starts out close to Philo Vance, and no one thinks of reviving him. There is still a bit of silliness in the following and might be why I did not finish watching it. Poor Ralph Bellamy.


 

Technically, this is about a TV show, but one I have always had a fondness for (it has very much a Holmes/Watson dynamic), even after watching it again this past year. This one has an idea that screams (for me, at least) for resurrection.


 sch 10/4

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment