Thursday, October 14, 2021

Apartment Hunting

 Another day in my motel room, another day riding Muncie buses, but with two differences: I investigated an apartment and I did my laundry.

The apartment is on the southside, just east of Muncie's Heekin Park. I spent time this afternoon filling out an application (and paying $45 for that privilege) only to be told that I must get them paystubs for a job which I have not yet started. Because of that I accepted an offer for a job interview tomorrow with another restaurant chain. I will turn down my first job offer. I need something I can do easily, that is without stress, and will start quickly. Maybe this will help me understand thn e current Muncie so I can translate that into my novel "Chasing Ashes." How long before my first check arrives is the question. I will not find an apartment at the same price any time soon.

Thkis apartment lies on a Muncie bus line. That means I could get to work easily. Home at night might be a different story. A bike has been offered and accepted. One more reason to regret not getting the place for the lack of a paystub.

I have done little writing today. I did a long email to T2 and updated a draft on Willa Cather. I need to make calls about my food stamps and my medical coverage. I did visit one lawyer who will still speak to me in this town.

I did take the wrong bus this afternoon. I got a blister walking back. I had nbot worn socks as I was planning to do my laundry.

I had my first omelette in years. Strange being almost the youngest person in a restaurant, but I think I was when the work crew left. Best omelette I have had in years.

My first real consumer sticker shock experience came at the laundromat. First Google did not show any laundromats close to my location. I made a trip on the bus there with my bag of dirty clothes Then I paid $3.00 to wash my clothes. I do not recall what was the closest the last time I visited a laundromat, but the halfway house only charged $1.00.  Also, I managed to read a bit of John Dos Passos' 1919 (of whom and what I have currently awed me). Then I returned on the bus with my clean clothes.

Back at the motel, I dropped off my laundry and make tracks to the nearest CVS to refill my Zoloft prescription. On the way, I stopped off and paid for another week in this motel. My Zoloft has become important to me. I no longer have the impulse to cut off my nose to spite my face. Which confirms my belief that I would not have be in my current situation if I had taken the time to get myself properly medicated back then. I got soaked in a downpour on the way back to the motel.

I remain impressed by the Muncie of 2021. Take the cars - I am not seeing a bunch of beaters with duct tape and plastic for windows or rust eating away the body. This seems a better every day. Now if I could get an apartment. I have not yet seen anyone I knew from my past except the aforementioned attorney. I assume those I once knew are dead or otherwise gone from the scene.

I am going to work on another draft for the blog. Tomorrow I need trek out to the Sheriff's office to announce my new job and get to my job interview and I would like to take in the new James Bond movie. Still, no visits from representatives of the Delaware County Sheriff's department or United States' probation office. Oh, well. They have not missed much and so much for my going from zero to a hundred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment