Friday, August 20, 2021

Writing and Rejection

 Over twenty years ago I was poking again at writing and talked with a person I knew then who was a published author and he talked to me about rejection. That I would have to endure all kinds of rejection. I told him I was a lawyer, I was used to losing on appellate briefs in criminals cases and those rejections impacted far more than my ego and vanity. I  did nothing with my writing at the time thanks to my usual worry aobu thaving nothing worthwhile to say about anything.

Now I do wonder how to deal with editor rejecting my stories and I read The Art Of Rejection: How One Author Pushed Through 41 Rejections And Kept On Waiting For Life-changing News with interest. This made me think:

I often think about how many works of art the world could have enjoyed but never got the chance to because the idea never left the artist’s head. Maybe what would have been my all-time favorite book was never written because the author was too afraid of failure. What a shame. I would have loved to have heard that story. I wished they would have written it.

Go read the rest of the piece. 

We all need more faith in ourselves - in our ideas, in our characters, in our feelings, in our art.

As Brother Lou Reed would say, it takes a Bus Load of Faith to get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment