Saturday, April 15, 2023

Waking Up Thinking of Joy

I moved slowly this morning. The arm is a problem in the morning. I turned on HBO, I started watching Head Full of Honey, seeing it had Nick Nolte and Matt Dillon. Nolte played a grandfather with dementia, that Nolte faced cracked and lined, the Nolte hair gone wiry and thin; I feel my age. According to Wikipedia, it was a flop, but I liked it. During one scene, there is dialog about the mind needing joy.

Which got me thinking about what I read yesterday about wonder. Which led me to thinking of what I have been writing. There does not seem much joy because the people I write of have been hanging on by their fingernails while the world they thought was secure slid into decline. If there is any wonder, it is that they have not given up. There are the stories where they will give up. Outright joy may have to wait for another time, but I must keep my eyes open for being joyless. 

There is joy in a robin chirping away before dawn. There is joy in a job well done. There is a joy in a stranger's smile. Those who have eyes will see. Those, whose hearts have not gone completely cold, will feel.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment