Sunday, April 9, 2023

Habit and Morality (Part Four), 9-16-2010

 [Continued from Habit and Morality (Part Three), 9-16-2010. sch 4/4/23.]

I thought myself finished with this topic then came the feeling this piece was still unfinished, and then there were the voices in my head objecting, questioning, what I meant by just tossing off a list of books.  Is that the way to enlightenment? It is the starting point, the place to start challenging your own intellectual habits. I left out the Bible because I assume everyone has read the Bible (or whatever is the book of your religious tradition.) I do not presume to tell you how to live your life.

Except, do not presume your morality is any better than mine. If you read me, you will know I did wrong in more ways than the government has an interest. You will also see what I am trying to do now that I remain among you, the living. Some stories tell what to avoid as much as they tell what to pursue.

We will see what I do with the time now left to me. I cannot always say I will adhere to the best. I am only human. Those who think any moral failure is irredeemable, need to learn the lesson I have been learning these past months. Redemption may be forced upon you. Besides, consider in what world you live. Humanity fails, always. Humanity's ultimate failure happens when it thinks it no longer can grow, when it becomes satisfied with its worst side. If when I return from prison still thinking nothing matters, that I am beyond redemption and so is the world, then you can ignore all I have written and will write on the subject of living a better life.

I will point out what I do think is the proper morality with this quote from C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity's "Social Morality":

... The Golden Rule of the New Testament (Do as you be done by) is a summing up of what every one, at bottom, had always known to be right. really great moral teachers nver do introduce new moralities; it is quacks and cranks who do that. As Dr. Johnson said, "People need to be reminded more ofthen than then need to be instructed"

sch

[I am getting a bit tiresome of my earnestness, but then I did not think I would be alive at this time. I cannot say I am entirely agreeable with this state of affairs, only I intend to do nothing further about it. I was not good at suicide, so no need to repeat my failures. There are obligations needing paid to keep me busy. Moreover, I learned one thing from reading Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales while in prison, there is a term for one so proud that they think themselves beyond salvation. I cannot recall the word right now; the brain is feeling very scattershot today. I recognized myself as committing that sin. Bloody fool, that is me. 

I also feel that I need to add another book to the list in Part Three. I had forgotten it when I put together my books everyone should read: Thoreau's Walden. This I re-read in prison. I had forgotten how much Thoreau is a trouble-maker. sch 4/4/23.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment