Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Thoughts from Anukriti Mishra on Writing and Style

I have not read Anukriti Mishra, but I do get updates from Carve Magazine, and her interview incited my curiosity, and the following caught my attention:

Your essay deals beautifully with the topic of emigration. How do themes of relocation, movement, and immigration impact your style and writing?

Rumi said, “All language is a longing for home.” I often think about that as so much of what I wish to write has to do with making sense of time and distance, belonging and moving. As an outsider and as a writer I think the subject of home has always been elusive to me. I find myself chasing this elusive place and discovering and rediscovering its varied meanings. The way I write or use language to tell my stories ultimately is my way of showing and expressing how I long to connect with the vast and diverse world while still longing for home.

I never thought of my writing as searching for home. What I wanted to do was play witness to the people and places I grew up around. I guess that is a sort of home.

sch 1/16/23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment