Monday, December 19, 2022

Monday

 Up at 4:30, the hip doing the work of my alarm clock.

A bit of breakfast, a bit of trimming email, and a lot of transcribing my notes onto this blog. Six new posts, all set for January 29. See, I have decided to make Sundays "Pretrial Detention" day. No one reads the blog on Sunday, I would like to get through these notebooks in a somewhat timely way, so between 3 am and 9 pm there will be a "Pretrial Detention" post. There will be one each morning during the week, except for Saturday. For Saturdays, I think I will be doing "On Writing" posts.

Another overlooked "Problem Solving" submission gets rejected:

 Thank you for trusting us with your work. Unfortunately, it wasn't a fit for us at this time. However, as writers ourselves, we understand how much time and effort goes into the submission process, and we appreciate your trust in our publication. We wish you the best in all your writing endeavors.

Thanks again,

The Lammergeier Team

It is 7:33. I need to catch the 8:45 bus downtown, so I can catch the 9:30 bus to the dentist. 

Quick notes follow.

From The Muncie Star-Press, The Anderson Family Scholar House:

The Family Scholar House in Anderson is the newest location of an idea that started in Louisville back in 1995. It was started by a group of nuns and now has affiliates in eight states. Their website (https://familyscholarhouse.org/) has a great explanation, but let me tell you what I saw and heard in this novel anti-poverty program.

The Family Scholar House in Anderson targets impoverished single mothers. In the Louisville locations, they also serve some single fathers and young people who have aged out of traditional foster care. The Family Scholar House offers these families a place to live, provided they pursue education. For some, that means completing community college or a certificate. For others, it means finishing college and continuing on to graduate school. Their graduation rate is 88 percent, which would be the pride of any fine university. A whopping 70 percent of graduates are completely off public assistance within three months of leaving the Family Scholar House program.

Each Scholar House location is a bit different, but the focus is on making these families self-sustaining. That means different things for each family. It might mean helping a single mom to finish two years of college after leaving an abusive relationship. For others, the challenges can be far more daunting. The key, however, is to find the right mix of assistance to help each family.

Yes, Indiana needs more of this. 

Also from the Muncie newspaper: Indiana activists work to create change, sustainability in clothing industry

And there I will close at 7:40 to get dressed for going outside.

The buses were on time. I got to the dentist about 9:45. Teeth cleaned, and an appointment made for May 1 to fill the front teeth, I was out at 10:38. 

I made the #6 bus and was back to the station with 15 minutes to wait for the #3 to take me home. 

Home, I ate lunch and worked on my email and the blog until 1 pm. I decided a nap would do my stiff back some good. I filled up January 29. What was to be an hour, became 90 minutes. I talked to KH for a bit. I piddled with the blog. 

Knocking the phone to the floor, I somehow managed to dial first my counselor and then K. She called me back, and we talked until I had to catch the bus again. I forgot water for the CPAP machine. I got back here around 6.

After dinner, it was on here to do some writing and a little reading:

Lithub's Why Turgenev Remains One of the Most Important Russian Writers (And Why You Should Read the Constance Garnett Translation) (I read a little Turgenev in prison, and thought he had some ideas for me, if I got home. Still working on that idea. I think if you read the essay, you may want to give him a look. A much easier introduction to the Russians than, say, Tolstoy.)

Daily Kos' I read Kari Lake's lawsuit so you don't have to, the AZ Republic analyzed it so I don't have to. She is an idiot, and frankly, to me, scary looking. Another who does not do self-examination, only blame others.

I need to come back to Merriam-Webster’s Great Big List of Words You Love to Hate.

From The Atlantic: What a Famous Writer’s Early Work Can Teach Us About Failure and Six Classic Books That Live Up to Their Reputation (Having read all but two, I agree - for all Infinite Jest annoyed me.)

It is 8:15. I am going nowhere else. So the public is safe tonight, as it has been since October 6, 2021. 

The only I know about going to the dentist is from Pearl Harbor:


The piddling changes to this  will be seen in a few minutes.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment