Monday, December 19, 2022

Disruptive Novels

LitHub published Kevin Lambert's Edgy, Unapologetic, and Transgressive: 8 Books That Seek to Unsettle the Reader. I do not know when I can find time to read, since I cannot seem to get done with what is in front of me here in my room. Maybe you can. Thing is, I am not sure what I can learn from them. Most seem to feature gay characters, and while gay-ness remains transgressive even now, it is not a subject I can write about. Perhaps I can be disruptive in not being fearful of same-sex people.

The only writer I knew was Jean Genet. I have read a bit of him.

I also read today, Sally Rooney's Misreading Ulysses from The Paris Review, where she makes the case that sex is essential to the novel. Why should it be limited to straight sex?

One question I had at the end of the essay was this: what is going on up in Quebec?

sch 12/8/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment