Monday, May 9, 2022

Robert M. Pirsig on Creativity

I finally read Robert M. Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance while in prison after seeing it, knowing about its existence, for decades. My notes are still in longhand, the reading was years ago, and my recollection is it felt a book of its times. Pirsig died a few years ago.

LitHub published recently s lecture Pirsig gave on creativity,  Robert M. Pirsig on the Book He Wrote (And the One He Didn’t) Short, less portentous,worth reading in full, but from which I am excerpting on the following:

...And I’m sure that in any creative project you really can’t perceive what the end is going to be, unless it is a very small thing you’re doing. I think the advantage of this particular device was that it always kept me open, it always kept me flexible, it always gave me a kind of a hollowness, so that I could constantly be refilled with new things that were coming in. The result of this was a book of many levels and of much complexity, but whose levels and whose complexity somehow always seem at the last minute to hang together.

I never had the space in which to use a method like Pirsig's but I kept notes and did not often use an outline.  What outlines I did use were more advisory. 

Just wanted to give an example of a creative process. Do with it what you will.

sch 4/29/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment