Saturday, February 5, 2022

Writing: You Got to Read

Joel C gave me this advice while we were incarcerated in Fort Dix FCI: good writing requires reading good books. So I set out to read with the purpose of finding out how authors pulled off their effects. Whatever difference lies between my education and my execution is not the fault of my education but of my talents.

Writer's Digest just published Writing Mistakes Writers Make: Forgetting To Read. I think it is spot on but it is always flattering to one's vanity to see one's opinions supported by the more knowledgeable:

By starting my days off reading, I engage with something that I love, but I’m also thinking critically. What do I like about what I’m reading? How would I have done it differently? What can I learn and implement into my own storytelling from this story?

sch

1/17/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment