Thursday, December 2, 2021

Sleeping My Life Away and #500

That is what I did yesterday. I ate breakfast, listened to the news, and wrote one post before getting sleepy enough I decided to nap. I cat-napped the day away until it was time to go off to work. I started off Thursday doing the same thing. I missed the 3:30 North Walnut bus, making me late to work. It was that kind of day. Right now, I am fighting the urge to repeat yesterday's behavior. It is not like I have much to do, I am still stuck typing on the phone.

Before going to bed on Tuesday, I had listened to Timothy Ware on creativity and tradition. It is always good listening to Kallistos Ware. I credit his books in drawing me to Orthodox Christianity. Please, give him a listen.

Yesterday, I did listen to Paul Auster on Stephen Crane. I read Auster in prison and liked his work. I also read (finally) Crane's The Red Badge of Courage. I did so more out of the feeling of not having read a "classic." What I got was a surprise at the man's writing. His prose and plotting was better than Jack London's (a great disappointment upon re-reading him), and a better stylist than Theodore Dreiser or Frank Norris - all writers I thought of as his contemporaries. More importantly, he did not feel dated. Here I thought Ernest Hemingway had to have found a model and a source for his own work. Yeah, Crane is that good. He inspired Auster into writing a biography. It does one's vanity good to see one's opinions justified, maybe even falling a bit short of the facts. I need to find a copy of Auster's book 

I go to work at 5. Off tomorrow. I need to do laundry and grocery shopping and find a doctor. I may put that off till tomorrow. Today's highlight may be attacking John Dos Passos. Wonder what my counselor would make of that.

7 minutes before Esoterica on WPRB. A taste acquired in prison. Ah, the benefits of free internet!

And with this post I hit 500. Which is to supposed to be of mystical significance for Google. I suspect this will be the day's highpoint.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment