Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Ethical Issues with Zuckerberg's Metaverse?

 The Metaverse is a human rights dilemma sure raises some interesting ethical points. 

I have never been enthused with Facebook as a platform or as a company. I used it to market my law practice without spending any time in Facebook. That is all. I think I would do the same if I start self-publishing. But I had no intention of using Zuckerberg's Metaverse even before I read:

Similarly, any action in The Metaverse will be an illusion of autonomy and bodily integrity. The corporation that owns the database still controls the virtual air one breathes in a Metaverse. 

The good news is, there is a solution to all of that, an approach that will promote individual autonomy and form the basis of human rights and civil rights. The answer is to extend the unfinished work of the Internet.

The Internet is based on protocols defined in specifications implemented as open source. Every computer in the world obeys such protocols in order to participate in the Internet. 

The one omission of the creators of the internet is the omission of a personal protocol to allow people to control what constitutes their digital identity. A personal protocol would allow a person to have total control of their utterances in text and other forms and how they are used, including how their utterances and their digital likeness is sorted and sifted. 

You think you get something for free when all you do is make someone else rich at your expense (for example).

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment