Thursday, August 5, 2021

Thinking About Kurt Vonnegut

 First, thanks to the Monmouth University Library (West Long Branch, NJ) for  sending into this prison via the interlibrary loan program New Critical Essays on Kurt Vonnegut (Palgrave MacMillan, 2009; David Simmons, editor). I did not expect this one to come - while still waiting for those which were expected!

Second, if you're a serious reader of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. then get your hands on this book. I liked how the essayists treated his later day novels - Jailbird, Deadeye Dick, Slapstick, Hocus Pocus, Galapagos, and Bluebird.

Reading these essays I see how far I strayed from his influence and how much we could stand - need - his influence. I find worrisome religious leaders who forget humanity. Christ didn't but the church has from time to time. Vonnegut did not forget the necessity of being humane .We need to be kinder to one and all. That is what I always took away from his writing. Kindness seem lacking in what likes touting itself as a Christian country. The whole Trump agenda feels anti-Vonnegut.

sch

3/5/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment