Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Writers: Influences; Process

 When I started writing again in a serious fashion, I was told to read. I drew up a reading list that I thought would fill in the gaps in my education. If you look in the archives under books, you will find my notes on my reading. I found much that helped, especially how foolish and ignorant I had been in 1984!

I think Brandon J. Choi's 3 Short Story Writers on the Stories That They Reread Again and Again from Electric Lit makes my case. He interviews Jamel Brinkley, Xuan Juliana Wang, and Sidik Fofana on the influence of other writers on their work. It may also open your eyes to the actual work of writing. Something I certainly wished I had known 40 years ago.

Even more directly about the process of creation is Laura Leigh Morris's The Stone Catchers. It will take only a moment to read, so go to it. Thinking about it will take much more of your time. Should, anyway.

Good luck!

sch 8/24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment