Saturday, March 25, 2023

Writer's Groups

I never knew of writing groups until I went to prison. We organized ourselves, it was not promoted by the Bureau of Prisons. And I think it was a great help for my own writing. I wish I had had one when I was younger. Feedback helps. It helps with the mechanics of writing, it helps by encouraging one when the nerves hit and you think it is all crap. Poor Joel C had to contend with me pushing back on his suggestions and so has KH, I had to be sure they meant well by their critiques (and I had to overcome my paranoia) and also to learn why they thought as they did so that I could learn whether it was a deficiency on my part or just my being too clever for my own good. I would not have been able to keep writing as well as I have without the help of Joel C or KH, or of my prison writing groups. If there is not one where you are, start one.

 I also suggest you read Partners in Writing: How To Make the Most of Your Critique Group from Writer's Digest.

sch 3/18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment