Sunday, September 20, 2026

A Ringing Endorsement For Living In Indiana

Even better it points out the benefits of living in Indiana.

Public Health Professor Left Indiana; Found Fulfillment in New Mexico (Business Insider)

I packed my bags and moved to Kentucky for a master's degree in public health, then to Ohio for my doctorate in health education. I was hired as a faculty member at BSU in Indiana. In total, I lived in the Midwest for 15 years, with the last 10 in Indiana.

The small college town of Muncie averages more than a foot of snow each winter. Some winters in Muncie were really harsh, windy, and freezing for weeks at a time.

The last couple of weeks I am almost hoping for winter. The humidity and the heat have been giving my lungs trouble. Sneezing and coughing, I have been feeling like a mucus factory. No church today. I made the decision last night during another coughing jag. It wore me out. I almost thought I had decided wrong until another episode hit during the night. I had another when I finally woke this morning and during my walk to the convenience store. 

The good point about living in Muncie:

Between Muncie, Indiana, and Las Cruces, New Mexico, the biggest cost difference is in housing and healthcare. I bought a house in 2023, but I used to rent a two-bedroom, two-bathroom for $800 a month in Indiana in 2020, and that jumped to $1,050 in New Mexico. 

 Let us face facts, if you can live in Indiana then you can live anywhere. The weather can change from sunshine to rain in a day. At some points during the year, you can have rain, sleet, snow, and sunshine within an hour.

The humidity can be 100% and not rain.

Much of the central part of the state was swamp. If the wide swathes of cornfields disappeared they would return.

America is a country of conservatives and reactionaries, a history lesson:


Cohn lives through Trump. McCarthy was a bum.

 I passed a point very early this morning with my project. A section was finished to my satisfaction, the argument put together. Not that all points were finished. Of course, when I got into bed there were some details that could be added, but not ones that changed the argument. 

I intend no more writing this week besides for this blog. Books need read. 

sch 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment