Saturday, March 25, 2023

May I Say a Word For Denis Johnson?

 I write this thinking, what is the sense. No one reads these posts about writers and writing. No ne will care about my opinions. However, if my old life was one of never quite taking a stand, always passing through, then I need to stand up. Let this be a record of what i think is important, for whoever stumbles across all these notes.

I read Denis Johnson's The Largesse of the Sea Maiden, my last year in prison. Steve Link recommended it, as I recall. Johnson is a great short story writer. You like literary fiction, then track down this collection of short stories. If you want to write short stories, study him (as well as Alice Munro, just saying). Someday, I may get to that part of my prison journal and post my thoughts here.

For more information read Eric Olson's In Denis Johnson, Darkness Met Delight from The Millions, it gives an overview of Johnson's work.

sch 3/18


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment