Thursday, August 25, 2022

Thursday's Report

I was late for work today. I simply was worn out from yesterday's work and slept through the alarm. The cpap mask falling apart several times in the night was no help, either. 

I got back here before 5. I was too tired, my shoulders ached so much, I did not even care that the middle school students were onboard. I was one of three adults. One was a deaf woman. Another was one of my neighbors, who told me one of the kids had been poking at him. The bus driver gave two lectures without really putting a dent in the din. As for me, I had started falling asleep on the #12 bus and by the time I got off the bus I was awake and fully tired. I pray I am never again so desperate as to willingly be trapped with these middle school monsters.

I tried weeding out the email. I saved some stuff for later writing. I wrote up a couple of posts for the weekend.

No visitors here today.

I read the following pieces online:

 Pawns in a Dark Plot On Barbara Molinard’s story collection, Panics. by Maya Solovej. I found the description of Molindard's writing interesting - someone else who had gloomy views of life and people. Probably the sort of thing I should have read decades ago, as I think of writing as a way to deal with the self destructiveness of nihilism. 

The Patterns, Routines, and Pervasive Fear of Daily Life in Prison Keith Corbin on the Unspoken Codes of the California Penal System where I did not see much of any correspondence to my experience at Fort Dix FCI except this:

Among the prisoners, once we were inside, we took it one step further and broke ourselves down into “cars.” A car is your prison family, your tribe, the people you ride with. Your car is determined by your race, where you’re from, and your gang. A car can be two people or a hundred, but there’s always a driver, someone steering the car, deciding which way to go. That person “has the keys.”

On CrimeReads I read The Soap Opera That Brought a Noir Edge to Daytime TV about a TV show I recall from my childhood: "The Edge of Night."

Tips to Consider When Searching for Beta Readers

Kenn Orphan's The Far-Right Crusade Against Human Sexuality on Counterpunch

NPR's As students go back to school, many face a lunch bill for the first time in 2 years (which I may include in a separate blog post.) 

No phone calls. I listened to MSNBC when the computer crashed while listening to WXPN. I decided I had too many tabs open, so that is when I started reading the above articles. Right now, I am playing Bo Diddley's Another Dimension on YouTube in Chrome.

And there I stop for now. I have some other writing I want to start before going to sleep.


 

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment