Saturday, August 20, 2022

Doing the First Person Plural

I tried different narration techniques while I was trying to educate myself on writing. Never thought of trying the first person plural until just now while reading COLLECTIVE NARRATORS: THE BEST USES OF THE FIRST-PERSON PLURAL IN LITERATURE from LitHub.

What is first person plural?

The first-person plural is a point of view that can be recognized by the use of ‘we’, ‘ours’ and ‘us’. For obvious reasons, the collective voice lends itself to collective accounts. Importantly, this first-person plural does not specify much about who is speaking—‘we’ can be two people or it can be a hundred. It can include the person being spoken to, but it can also exclude them (something I was all too painfully aware of after the incident I describe above!)....

The article gives a reding list, so I have.more books to read. Right now I like the idea without having a place to apply the idea.

What caught my eye with the article was the mention of the Greek chorus. I tried a play or two with a chorus but I came to that idea from music. Specifically, the call and response from gospel that came into pop music like this:



sch 8/4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment