Sunday, May 8, 2022

Lillian Hellman's The Searching Wind

Nothing I have read about Hellman's plays has said anything about The Searching Wind. It is in two acts. It is an anti-fascist message play, the characters find themselves present at Mussolini's march on Rome, a Freikorps riot in Berlin, and Paris just before the Munich Conference and are ineffectual in opposing fascism's rise. It is also a play about a love triangle.

Like Watch on the Rhine, the play has some comedy. This play has fewer speeches.

What I cannot find through Google is any revivals. With fascism rising again, I would think there would be interest in a play showing "the good people" putting their comfort above opposing fascism.

There is a movie version. I had not heard of this one.

For my other Hellman posts you can start here.

sch 5/7/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment