Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Internet and Depression

I recall writing a piece in 2010 about how we need to take time away from the internet.

My Google feed turned up Longitudinal study reveals how using the internet as a form of escape can end in increased depressive symptoms

People are spending more time online than ever, especially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. But when a person loses control over their internet use such that it interferes with other activities in their lives, psychologists refer to it as “Problematic Internet Use.” A lack of control over one’s internet activity has been associated with a range of negative mental health outcomes, although the pathway behind this relationship remains unclear.

Okay, I resembled this back in 2009. Not with my illegal ventures, but with Yahoo Chat which led to my illegal ventures. 

Being away from Yahoo Chat tastes sweet, like freedom. Just now thinking about it gives rise to this tingling of anxiety. Going back to Yahoo Chat holds no charm for me. During my stay at the halfway house, when I had unfettered internet access (what the group therapy therapist calls capability), Yahoo Chat never was appeared even as a temptation. I now have dome idea of what is detrimental to my mental health.

Take care of yourself. Ration your internet time.

sch 3/20/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment