Friday, February 11, 2022

Depression and Writing

Whether you have depression or not but do have an interest in the subject,  I  suggest reading Writing with Depression  by Rheea Mukherjee. I recognize and agree with this point - I must since writing has given me the same benefits:

I can tell you this. I am not sure if depression deepened my writing. I can tell you that it certainly allowed me to make sense of it. It created structure for me to negotiate the world that I lived in. It steadied me and helped me find a cruising altitude. It allowed me the freedom to articulate things I’d never have the courage to say in person. It expanded my idea of trauma, mental health, and human nature.

For me taking the effort to write lets me distinguish between what my depression feeds my brain and reality. It takes the wind out of my anxieties and paranoia, too.

sch

 2/5/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment