Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Writers Needing to Read - An Additional Voice

 If you have been following my "On Writing" topic, you know I advocate reading other writers as a means of learning how to write. My feedspot.com account led me to Marilyn L. Davis's Two Drops of Ink: A Literary Blog: The Literary Home for Collaborative Writing and the post How to Stop Being an Impatient Writer:

Another thing we’re impatient about is improving our writing. We want to be a best-seller with our first book or win an award for our blog every year. 

Unfortunately, improving anything takes time. So, how do we use the time to improve our writing? We read. I know; that seems counterintuitive. But reading books about better writing will rub off on you – eventually. Why? Because you’ll start seeing your common mistakes written about by famous authors and finally realize that it’s not good writing. Then you can start writing with more confidence.

I never was patient. At one time I was so impatient that I decided suicide was the only only solution. Prison and reading Orthodox Christian writers finally put me on the road to patience. Paying the price for my impatience will continue until the end of my life.

Ms. Davis provides a list of how to improve our writerly patience, I suggest giving it read.

I also have got to say Two Drops of Ink looks well worth exploring, so expect more from there in the future.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment