Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Archbishop Anastasio #4

[Continued from Archbishop Anastasio #3 sch 4/1/23.] 

I got a letter written to my sister Melissa.  She has had her phone off these past 2 weeks - 10 days. I will assume she did this to save money only.

I finished reading the interviews of Archbishop Anastasio in In Albania: Cross and Resurrection (St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2016). I would like to know what happened to the Archbishop (he was born in 1929) and how fares the Albanian Orthodox Church. [Found while typing this up is the website for the Albanian Orthodox Church and by all indications the Archbishop is live and well. He continues to speak: Freedom from hatred and its mutations – Easter 2021] Right now I suspect Albania is best known for supplying the villains for the movie Taken. From taking on this book as a way to occupy my time during our prison's quarantine to now, where I suggest anyone with an interest in Orthodox Christianity or Albania or Christianity in general should read this book. If I have not convinced you yet, please keep reading my excerpts.

What is your opinion on xenophobia and on racism in Europe? What role could the Church play in this?

I consider both to be products of immaturity and of a sense of insecurity, possibly also of arrogance - personal, national, and social. The less confidence you have in yourself, the more you fear the other, the foreigner. 

***

For the Christian believer, every human person is to be respected inasmuch as he or she bears the divine image within. As a communion of love, the Church embraces everyone, irrespective of background, gender, and education. In connecting its members with God, the Church also connects its members with all people, since everyone without exception is created by the one God. 

p. 266

If nothing else, you know how I think and on what I think, 

sch

3/31/20

[Continued in Archbishop Anastasio #5. sch 4/1/23.] 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment