Friday, July 30, 2021

The Topeka School

 I finished Ben Lerner's The Topeka School (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux., 2019) only a few minutes ago. I feel a little dazed, a bit like I was gut-punched. He cover some of the ground I want to cover with "No Clean Slates." He is not quite as interested in history as I am  but he shows me what my own writing lacks. He packs much into282 pages. 

It is not quite what I recollect from the New York Times Book Review. The novel is more than I expected.

I'm not sure how Lerner provoked me to read to the end. His characters annoyed me greatly at points. Could it be something intrinsic to myself?  This will be a novel needing re-reading away form the din and clamor of this fine federal correctional facility.

(To be continued)

sch

3/1/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment