Healing but not doing much more.
I made it to group on Friday. My legs got wobbly. I took the bus there and back, as little walking as possible. I stayed put for the rest of the day. Did some reading, watched shows on Netflix. Right now I cannot recall what it was! Thusday Murder Club.
Got a rejection.
Thank you for sharing "Pieces About A Small Indiana Factory, 1976 - 1984" with A Public Space. We regret that we are unable to use this piece for the magazine, but appreciate the opportunity to consider it.
All our best,
A Public Space
I keep having these intense moments of insomnia. Those I have used to work on my research project.
CC called again on Friday. I spoke with KH, too. Joel C called with compliments for “Ahab in the Moonlight”. That is now published. I need to get a link here to it.
Saturday, I went to Payless and the convenience store twice. A little more walking, a little more of my research project.
I started watching Orphan Black on Netflix. I like it. Oh, I started Bugonia and just could not take its deepness or weirdness. Looks good, though.
I decided against church. Not enough energy, pain is more a low-level discomfort.
One thing decided: a different working schedule. I need to get some books read.
Things read over the past few days that I want to share:
The Eyes of Athena and the Disenchanted World of The Odyssey (Reactor)
The Fermi Paradox, Percolation, and Inbreeding (Reactor)
Zardoz: …What the F*ck Did I Just Watch? (Reactor)
You Must Remember This’s Karina Longworth on ‘The Bisexuals’
Exclusive: In a Ukrainian bomb shelter, Laura Loomer has some regrets (AP News)
How America’s newspapers lost their voice
Pennsylvania roads are being coated in radioactive wastewater − here’s why
From author to anime hero: the unlikely revival of a Japanese literary star | Fiction in translation (The Guardian)
No Longer Human comprises a series of notebooks by a formerly “handsome young man”, who declares his incompatibility with the human race. For him, the world is “a place of bottomless horror”; he concludes that “living itself is the source of sin”. The narrator of the title story of Schoolgirl takes a similar view: “the problem is that I’m corrupt. I’m a bad girl.”
The relentless pessimism in Dazai’s work risks seeming overwhelming or indulgent but, as Barton puts it, Dazai “leans into [the self-loathing] with a kind of exuberance”. Indeed, his appeal in part lies in this “unashamed emotional quality, but also tempered with enormous intelligence”.
Cool Machine by Colson Whitehead review – final part of the Harlem Trilogy is freewheeling fun | Fiction | (The Guardian)
Whitehead initially envisioned the Harlem Trilogy as a jaunty entertainment, a break from the serious Pulitzer-winning business of The Underground Railroad and The Nickel Boys. Cool Machine specifically covers the New York of his youth, a scene he experienced first-hand, which only adds to the air of vivid, freewheeling fun. Whitehead maps the streets, labels the landmarks and dips in at intervals with handy background information. He takes a dark and dangerous corner of history and makes it feel illuminated, magnified, even borderline family-friendly.
A Sudden Flicker of Light by David Thomson review – a brilliantly eccentric history of the movies | Film books (The Guardian)
Revisionist? Well, it certainly takes us to wintry and sombre ponderings on the movies’ (perennial) tendency to coarsen and to cheapen, to enforce cultural mob-rule. He cites King Vidor’s 1928 film The Crowd, starring James Murray, a former extra plucked from the ranks and groomed for glory but whose awful destiny was to descend into alcoholism and homelessness – back into the crowd. He emphasises movies’ amazing populist-democratic power and reach, their power embodied by the fact that, unlike in the theatre or concert hall, a film’s action could not be stopped or affected by the crowd in front of it. Like a theologian dragged by doubts to the foot of the cross, Thomson wonders if the movies will always lack literature’s way of allowing us to enlarge our imaginations, as opposed to forcing a submission to the screen.
The Rest Is History (Lapham’s Quarterly )
Who Cares? (Sheila Kennedy)
The American Prospect, among others, has reported on the crisis in what we call “Care work.”
As the report notes, immigrants from countries like Haiti, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Uganda, Jamaica, the Philippines, and dozens of others make up the majority of people who serve the aging, frail, sick, disabled and dying. These immigrants “bathe their clients, change adult diapers, supervise medications, and provide companionship in relationships that are intimate as well as professional.” And they are the targets of Donald Trump’s hatred.
How civilisations fall, according to Gibbon (Engelsberg ideas)
5th Circuit ‘answers the call’ from Clarence Thomas on gun law
4 little-known Google Calendar tricks I use to plan my workweek - and save time (ZDNET)
The Problem With Middle-Class Socialism (The New Republic)
Secret Service Agent Put on Leave for Alleged Leaks About JD Vance (The New Republic)
Trump Prepares to Attack Eighth Country of His Second Term (The New Republic)
Trump Invents the Corporate Pardon (The New Republic)
What Do You Have to Hide? - by Jared Henderson
WNAP-FM | Listen Online - myTuner Radio
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Compleat Angler, by Izaak Walton
sch
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to comment