Monday, April 10, 2023

Political Book List, 9-16-2010 (Part One)

 While writing Habit and Morality, I put off books that were more political. This was even though I think at bottom politics are about ethical/moral issues. So0, I moved onto this list of more specifically political books. I list them in no particular order.

1. The Federalist. John Jay, Alexander Hamilton, and James Madison wrote a series of essays explaining the original Constitution. By original Constitution, I mean the Constitution without any amendments. No one should speak of the Constitution without reading this book.

2. Walt Whitman's Democratic Vistas. Here is the post-Civil War vision of America. This essay lays out the high-minded version of American exceptionalism. After reading this, ask yourself if this is not America as it ought to be.

3. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. I assume this may be out of print. If it is, go to your local library. I read the book in high school, and I still remember Brown's description of the Sand Creek Massacre. It shows the good (Ely Parker), the bad (Phillip Sheridan) and the ugly (George Armstrong Custer) of America's Native American history. Whenever critics disparage John Ford's Indians, I always have this book in my mind and think the critics overplay their hand. In Fort Apache, Henry Fonda arrogantly racist character dies and gets many under his command killed for his refusing to deal honestly with the Apaches; the Native Americans are more honorable than the Fonda character. Those thinking differently, must think James Stewart shot Liberty Valance.

sch

[Continued in Political Book List, 9-16-2010 (Part Two). sch 4/5/23.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment