Friday, April 21, 2023

Not Me

 I slept into until around 7:30. Breakfast was oatmeal and stewed apples. Then it was off to the email and news.

I was working on Psychotic Ape for a contest.

I forgot to double-check the word count until this morning. Oops. I am about 600 words over. I found about 200 I could cut, and I am thinking maybe change the opening.

I also had Stephanie emailing me about getting emails. Seems Woolbert hit reply all.

There is an interview at 10:45 with Wendy's. And it is raining. Life in Indiana.
 
Last thing done before cleaning up and heading out: reading "Lazarus" by Anna Catalano from Planet Scumm. I thought it an interesting story - both in terms of content and form. A look at a dystopian future through the prism of prison life. 

I caught my two buses to the Wendy's interview. I will know on Tuesday.

What I did not do was catch the bus back downtown. I stopped off at Aldi's for a few items, and that took too long - by about 4 minutes - to get the bus. Instead, I walked home through the drizzle.

After lunch, I went to work on "Psychotic Ape." I knocked off almost 700 words. 

While doing so, I got an email from K. Someone had contacted my ex-wife about my cousin Ron, and my ex-wife had contacted K. I called the number left, found out it was a California law firm, but have had no return call. It did make curious about what was going on with my cousin. I found there was nothing going on, he died on February 1. That was a shock, even though I have not spoken to him since his father;'s death in 2005. It appeared to have been a direct cremation, no mention of a showing, no mention of friends. His sisters died before him, leaving him with a nephew. That bothers me more.

I let my oldest sister know the news.

Also, I called KH about finishing the rewrites for "Psychotic Ape."

Then I napped until after 5, fixed dinner, fooled around with the email and the story, entered the story in the contest, walked down to McClure's, and now I am calling a night.

Colonel Tom rated another rejection:
Thank you for sending us your work. We appreciate the opportunity to read it; unfortunately, your submission doesn't feel like a good fit for Bodega at the moment. We hope you'll find a good home for it soon.


All best,

The Editors
Bodega
www.bodegamag.com

 

 


 And, that's all, folks!


sch 9:34 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment