Sunday, March 26, 2023

Stepping on Toes, 9-10-2010

 Politics discussed, again.

If the people of this country truly want to fix things in this country, they need to prepare themselves for pain. There is no gain without pain. Nor is a teflon-coated stainless steel world possible.

You do not like the amount you pay in taxes? Then say exactly what you object paying for and why. Do not say government spending and end there. That is the same you do not like water because it is wet. Let us pretend we are adults who can reason instead of parrots mouthing what others have told us.

We will have to give something up. So, maybe we should start with the things we ought to keep.

We must stop mixing the functions of state and federal governments. Therefore, let us decide what of federal and what of state spending we should keep, and why we must do so.

I expect no one will notice that want to keep what others will not want to keep - and vice versa. I expect many more will just want to cut everything without rhyme or reason - we do live in the age of unreason.

I am amazed at what I will cost for my incarceration. Yet, I understand and do not object to my punishment. Who of you can say the same? 

Of those wanting all federal spending cut, did you take all of your deductions this year? You do understand those deductions are government subsidies? Those without mortgages pay for those with, and so on.

We do not live in a perfect world. Imperfection requires compromise. I never complained about helping pay for someone else's mortgage or children or whatever because others helped pay what I took as a deduction.

Decide what you would give up before you take from someone else. In the meantime, figure out what kind of society you want to live in. How does this talk of government spending relate to a wider society? No one should ask that question, but I bet more see no connection between good schools and good roads and good health than do between abstinence and philosophy.

And for those of you who think there is not a civil society, I can only say you are a pitiable lot.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment