Sunday, March 5, 2023

More for the Political Science Types, 8-4-2010

 And for the criminal justice majors, too.

  1. It is always assumed that there is a patron-client relationship between politician and non-governmental special interests.
  2. What ties exist between the bureaucracy and the elected branches of government? Is the relationship patron-client, or something more symbiotic?
  3. [Omitted because I cannot understand what I meant by what I wrote. Utter incoherence. sch 3/5/23.]

My few conversations breaking up the silence of bunk-sitting have me thinking that there may be more of a tie between the bureaucracy and the legislative branch than I am aware of being explored. It may be worth examining the relationship between legislative oversight committees and the agencies being overseen.

I worry legislative term limits increasing the bureaucracy's control over legislation.  (It may also be informative in checking the interplay between executive agencies and legislative staff in terms of employment.) We know of the move from government offices to regulating business to those regulated business. What would a same migration between branches mean for policy?

No bureaucracy likes change. The relationship between legislature and governmental agencies may be geared to maintaining jobs more than policy for the common good.

For all I know, there may be studies like this out there. Incarceration means the loss of Google.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment