Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Ah, A Sunny Day This Tuesday

 Last night, I did not sleep well. Partially, thanks to dinner's spaghetti being intransigent. Partially, due to the continuing CPAP make problems. The spark being a telephone conversation with CC just before going to bed. She left me a bit angry at her and at myself. Mostly, I was angry at myself. I finally caught an understanding onto the problem. She complained about how long it took me to find her, then she would relent when I explained, and then back to attacking me. Then she said she was being watched and I was being watched, and I was naive not to think so, and if she continued being around me, there would bring on me all the problems she wanted to avoid bringing down on me. I do not know if it is because she has been so ill and the drugs she did, or just the drugs, but she has a full-blown paranoia. Reason is beyond her.

This morning, I blocked her from calling me.

I woke after 8 and did not really get moving until around 9.

Checked the email where I found some items worth reading.

I had a bunch of family papers and my own history in a trunk that was stolen in 2009. At that time, I felt the loss like a physical blow, and it has never quite left my mind over the years. I came to the conclusion that I was a person adrift without a verifiable history. What I call my identity might just be my imagination. Now The Guardian reports on those having a similar loss, ‘Our universe was lost for ever’: what happens when a tech glitch erases your memories? I wish I had their optimism about what was lost.

I’ve tried to start again, finding homes for Fireboy DML next to Fontella Bass, Unknown T snuggled with Gerry Rafferty. But there’s no sense of history. My old playlists were refined and redrafted. Now they feel perfunctory, a contact sheet rather than a photo album.

The only upside is now, rarely, when I’m at a party or listening to the radio, I’ll hear one of the lost songs. It feels like the hand of heaven, a little part of myself that I can slot back into place. Which I suppose is quite a nice way to feel about overhearing 2007’s minor Groove Armada single Song 4 Mutya.

Some good news for some of us: Lawmakers consider hefty boost to welfare eligibility for low-income Hoosiers.

Sens. Jon Ford, R-Terre Haute, and Greg Walker, R-Columbus, have authored Senate Bill 265 to help more Hoosiers qualify for that money. The legislation would raise the income eligibility limits from what they are currently ― about 16% of federal poverty guidelines ― to 35% from July 2025 to July 2027 and 50% thereafter.

The 35% cap corresponds to about $725 for a 3-person household based on this year’s poverty limits. Currently, households of three must earn less than a net income of $288 a month to qualify.

Even if the bill passes, Indiana would still have some of the strictest income caps among all states. In 2020, the majority of states set the income cap for a family of three at more than $800 a month.

In 2022, an average of 9,373 adults and children received TANF cash assistance in Indiana each month. The average in U.S. states, D.C., Guam and Puerto Rico was 34,439. Meanwhile, there are an estimated 831,000 Hoosiers living in poverty, according to U.S. Census data. And that doesn’t count the Hoosiers who live above the poverty line but struggle to meet their basic needs.

Instead of getting out early for my Chili's pay check, I re-read "Aftermath" which was "Hey, Watch This" for almost 9 years. I sent it to the following:

  1. The Threepenny Review
  2. The Sun
  3.  Banshee 
  4. CŌNFINGŌ MAGAZINE 
  5. The Drift  (very much a long shot)
  6. Southword Journal (English language)
The snail mail brought news I would be getting a little more Social Security. looking at my bank account, I will need it sooner than next month.
 
This afternoon, I had another lay down. This makes me wonder how well I will cope with working, again.

I did not get my check, nor anywhere else except the office for ice. Spaghetti for dinner. Looking for more places to submit "Aftermath" that might pay me for my poor efforts.

Esoterica was the only contact with the outer world.

 
"Aftermath" was submitted tonight to:
  1. Indiana Review
  2. CRAFT
I also collected a few spots for "The Sloe Gin Effect." Which I re-read and corrected.

I gave up. Unemployment means no more with the ones who charge a reading fee. Well, not after that one. 

I finally got around to the latest Dorothy Parker's Ashes, it is the Libido issue. It looks like a hoot, certain to give my PO heart palpitations, but also, as usual with this publication, too much to read right now.

Job applications went out. Tomorrow is the job interview for Hitachi. I am not sure if I want it. MW is sending me some work. There is also that I have never done manufacturing. My bank account is less hesitant.

Here I end the day. I want to watch some TV. Maybe read a bit more Aristotle.

sch 8:07 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment