Saturday, March 4, 2023

A Bit Late, but It Is About Toni Morrison

 The last American novelist to win the Nobel Prize for Literature was a Black woman. If that bothers you, too bad. I think she deserved the prize. She certainly deserves to be read instead of censored (as has happened in this country recently). One of the benefits of prison was my being able to catch up with her books.

From The Guardian, Marlon James (another writer I need to read!) wrote, My Hero: Toni Morrison by Marlon James:

Song of Solomon and Sula both profoundly changed my life, but in very different ways. Like Salman Rushdie’s Shame and Gabriel García Márquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude, Song of Solomon was incredibly galvanising: it made me want to write. It’s Morrison’s loosest novel, an epic about an extraordinarily dysfunctional black family. It becomes almost magical realist, and has the most plausible supernatural ending I have ever read – I finished that novel thinking I could fly.

Okay, I feel the same about Beloved. You get the idea and should have the sense to find her novels, right?

At Princeton, a New Exhibition Unpacks Toni Morrison’s Complex Creative Process

LitHub has a collection of Morrison material here as well as Toni Morrison on Reality TV, Black Lives Matter, and Meeting Jeff Bezos.

sch 2/27/23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment