Saturday, January 28, 2023

Writing - Voice and POV

 I admit failing keeping up with all my reading. Live Write Thrive has been neglected, which is unfortunate as I find it consistently has good advice on writing.

I hope to make up for this with The Intersection of Voice and Deep POV. It addresses an issue that has bothered me for some time.

In this age of writing in deep POV—meaning, each scene in fiction is coming “through” a particular character, in that every word of the scene is her thoughts, observations, sensory experiences, and opinions. Since that’s the case, that means the entire scene has to be in that character’s “voice,” not the author’s.

This is a huge problem I see in most of the manuscripts I edit and critique. The author’s writing style supercedes the indivual POV characters’ voices such that they all sound the same, use the same vocabulary and syntax, and, essentially come across as clones of one another. Which wouldn’t be a problem if the premise of their novel was about a group of clones. But I haven’t seen that premise cross my desk yet.

What this means is, if you have three POV characters in your novel, the scenes for each one need to read and feel quite different from the other. I should be able to randomly open up a novel I’ve just read (now familiar with the characters) and easily tell, without reading the name, whose POV the scene is in.

When I started working on "Love Stinks" I had one character in first person and another in third. I like to think it was because one character was more likely to talk to herself and the other, a professor, would be formal. However, even in stories without an extreme POV, I worry that my characters all sound alike, that they are too much products of my own mind. 

Ms. Lakin gives some great examples and more comments about characters, so give her a read.

sch 1/9/23


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment