Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Despondency

 

I read Despondency: The Spiritual Teaching of Evagrius Ponticus on Acedia at Fort Dix. Saint Vladimir's Seminary Press featured it in an email I received today.
 
Of all the things I have read about depression, this one taught me more than the others. I suggest getting it. Seems the monks had a serious problem with despondency. They saw it as a spiritual problem, a sin - the doubt that undermines all faith. Of course, they went on to studying the problem and from studying Evargius went onto writing. What I got was the idea that depression is not just a physical or psychological problem, but a spiritual problem. Also, that despondency fits the problem better than depression. Yes, I think highly of this book and do suggest you read it.
 
If I ever get to my notes from my prison journal, you will see my notes from my reading.

sch 9/23/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment