Monday, August 22, 2022

Weird Stories

Talking about weird stories here. I confess to a weakness for weird stories. 

I wrote about my interests about realism's limits in

So, I had to read Realism and the Weird in “The Yellow Wallpaper” and “The Story We Used to Tell” from Ploughshares.

(By the way, I read "The Yellow Wallpaper" as a weird tale. This seems not the usual reading.)

The essay has an interesting discussion on the stories and weird stories. However, the following captured my attention:

...If neither rationality nor emotions are reliable ways to interpret human experience, what analytical framework does that leave us with? This is a question without answer, of course—a fitting enigma for a literary mode that draws no conclusions, regardless of whether those conclusions have to do with genre, style, or human existence itself. What it does provide is a creatively provocative way of considering the books we read and the world we live in. That will have to be answer enough.

Life is strange. Again, I go back to what I wrote before: reality may be beyond realism.

sch 8/7/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment