Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Failure Begets Success?

LitHub's Why Failure is Necessary for Creative Growth answers my question in the positive.

Even the most accomplished people deal with failure and ongoing self-doubt. You have to learn how to deal with it. Failure is how you learn. If you see it as anything but a lesson, and project it onto your self-worth, you’ll crumble. That low self-worth takes up a lot of room in your head. You end up giving too much space to jealousy, bitterness, comparing yourself to your peers and that’s less room for the creative process to unfold. Failure and success are endlessly intertwined. Each step forward can included a number of steps back. Basically: you have to get over yourself and get over the fear of failure.

I wish I had read this as article fifteen years ago. I keep writing here about how my Zoloft keeps me from flying off the handle, from going back into my depression, which piled onto my own feelings of failure. This article might have given me some hope. I hope you will read it. I hope it will keep you going in your endeavors.

Now, I have had some feedback on "Colonel Tom" that I need think about. Not think of as condemnation of my story. Nor take it as license to think of me as incapable of writing a sensible story. Nor as an excuse to drift back into a state of despondency. I need to think how to implement the criticism and retain the integrity of my story. It helps that I understand the criticism as not attacking my talents but as trying to help me better expression the vision born from my talents.

Keep working, please!

sch 6/27/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment