Saturday, May 21, 2022

Lillian Hellman's Another Part of the Forest

Okay, the last time I wrote up any of Hellman's plays was The Searching Wind and it was May 8. I have since read four more, just finishing The Lark tonight.

Another Part of the Forest is a prequel to Little Foxes. My reading of the former makes the latter into a revenge play. 

This play seems less popular than Little Foxes, but I did find one revival's reviews Pecadillo Theatre Company provides a taut staging of Lillian Hellman's "prequel" to The Little Foxes. and A CurtainUp Review Another Part of the Forest. I do not know why the former calls the play "less assured." I think the melodramatic plot point less outrageous in the prequel. What the earlier has over the later play is a star role.

Still thinking Hellman is a playwright worth reading and seeing. 

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment