Sunday, February 27, 2022

Depression: New Research

Depression and anxiety symptoms linked to reduced information-seeking behavior caught my attention. I try not to jump to conclusions, not play the hypochondriac, but this felt different.

During my time in prison, I tried discovering when it started. CC said she thought I was depressed when we met back in 1996. Maybe. What I did begin to notice was how over time I began to withdraw from interests and people. Books I stopped reading. Drifting in goals until there were not any, just me hopping about, letting inertia have its way. 

The article says:

“Our study found that people with higher levels of depression and anxiety appear to be less information-seeking when it would be helpful for learning how to achieve their goals,” Smith told PsyPost. “In other words, they may ‘jump to conclusions’ about what actions will lead to better or worse outcomes after only a few experiences. At the same time, they appear to seek more information in situations where it wouldn’t be helpful. One reason for this is that they may not stop and reflect on the best choice before making decisions.”

I feel a recognition here. 

This could be the difference now:no jumping to conclusions, having goals.

sch

 2/15/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment