Saturday, January 8, 2022

Writing: Technique: Colons

I like the colon for a dramatic break but after reading Melissa Donovan's Punctuation Marks: The Colon I have to think hard on my use of the mark. Ms. Donovan gives a short primer on proper usage but her closing is what really got me thinking:

"In an article titled “Formatting Your Manuscript – The Silent Scream,” Lynn Price, the editorial director for Behler Publications, provides a clear tip for writers who are considering punctuating with a colon. I will leave you with her advice:

Be careful with your use of colons. They have a clinic-y feel to them, and they can easily take the softness and poetic flavor out of your writing. Think about using a comma or semi-colon instead. If you don’t, chances are your editor will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment