Friday, October 22, 2021

We Have Covid in My Building 2 12/20/2020

 I lost my petition for my pretrial detention credit. Judge Blumb relied on where I was placed rather than on whether I was detained or released as set in the federal statute. Today, I decided to appeal.

Recently, I read John Mortimer's Forever Rumpole: The Best of Rumpole (Penguin, 2011). I will not quibble about what I miss from the early books since Mortimer chose the stories himself. I recommend them to anyone liking a certain sort of English character or likes a legal slant to their crime stories or wants to be a lawyer. Even more so,  I suggest them to anyone wanting to write social criticism under the guise of genre fiction 

Rumpole left me thinking of what I had done wrong in my own law practice - both professionally and as a business. This has not left me in a happy frame of mind. I felt again all the ways I had let down my side. How I had let myself down like a damned fool.  Come to think of it this was how I felt about myself a year or two before my arrest. People ask me if I will try and get myself reinstated - I cannot imagine who would hire me, thinking of clients gives me anxiety; I had set out to destroy my life as a lawyer and it would be hypocritical trying to get back my license. It would be like trying to get back with an old girlfriend who'd gotten rid of me for being unfaithful. Maybe, too, I do not want to chance the pain of rejection.

An apology for not keeping up on these notes. I have been working on my fiction. If the fiction is any good, I am sorry for putting it off all these decades. If it is what you it would be it might have been - and you know who you are - then I apologize to you for not living up to your faith in me and for your not being far from my consciousness all these decades. And for the rest of you, I am sorry for being such a bother,


sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment